Tuesday, October 7, 2008

So it goes

I've been getting text messages, emails, and IM's, alll amounting to roughly the same basic content: "Don't jump." But to tell you the truth, I'm really not even mad. Once the Angels lost game 2 I wrote off this series, and besides, my standards really aren't that high.

I'm not a Red Sox fan. I don't think a World Series is my birthright. I'm not a Yankee fan. I don't think any season without a title is worthless. I'm an Angel fan, and this team is and will be good enough to win another championship during my lifetime.

Last night's game was the epitome of Angels playoff baseball, with numerous groundouts, popouts, ans strikeouts with RISP. I don't think the suicide squeeze call was the best idea Scioscia's ever had, but frankly, it wasn't really a terrible idea. I do, however, want to know why Willits was still out when Varitek dropped the ball during the play. Ed Rapuano's an idiot.

The Angels beat themselves this series. They also broke the mystique that accompanies a Boston trip into October. John Lackey, speaking candidly and with quite the edge, had this much to say:

"We lost to a team that's not better than us. We are a better team than they are. The last two days, we shouldn't have given up anything."

And I agree, but that's irrelevant at this point. The Red Sox will go on to the ALCS and lose to the Rays who are very close to winning their first World Series title. I'm okay with that. I'm not afraid of a "Ray Nation" popping up any time soon.

I'll do a season recap sometime soon, but for now, I've gotta get to class. I leave you with Big John lackey from Abilene, Texas.

"[Monday] night they scored on a broken-bat ground ball and a fly ball that anywhere else in America is an out, and he's fist-pumping on second base like he did something great."

No comments: